Thursday 8 May 2008

Millenium Falcons??

In the city centre a pair of peregrine falcons nested and layed 4 eggs, 2 of which hatched this week. I have spent a bit of time sat by the river, near where they have nested, with my daughter this week. It is amazing that would nest in the centre of a busy city. They are occupying St. Andrew's spire, about half way up. I believe there is a couple in Lincoln somewhere too, and somewhere else which I can't remember, Derbyshire maybe.
As they nested there last year too there is a web cam set up so you can see them and the chicks. The council and RSPB set this up and there are volunteers there most days with a TV hooked up to the web cam etc. I have to say, I am impressed that effort has gone into this and it has given my children the chance to see them which encourages them to learn about them also.
Well I dreamt about them last night, it was awful, I dreamt seagulls were attacking the nest and the chicks, but I think that I was one of the seagulls, I'm not sure though. I may
of been one of the falcons protecting the nest but I was definitely a bird of some description. I have never been another creature in my dreams before, it was weird.
Here are a couple of quotes to go along with a birdy theme:
"No bird ever...raced 15 miles high at triple the speed of sound. But birds do something else. They do not conquer the air; they romance it."
— Peter Garrison
(1943-) U.S. aviator and columnist
"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings." William Blake (1757 - 1827)
Source: The Marriage and Hell

No comments: